Friday, July 21, 2006

Have pity on the child


Luke and I were strolling inside Ario one nothing-to-do-but-while-away-time afternoon. All things seemed to be in their usual course, except that I noticed a small domestic event while we were passing thru a jewelry shop.

A group of mothers were having their luxurious chit-chat time in one corner while their kids were having their own time too. Then, one mother suddenly grabbed her son shunning him away from the baby cart's Poohbear toy design he was trying to eat. This may seem normal -- I mean refraining your child to have a bite of something obviously not to be eaten. But what I couldn't really accept is the fact that the mother spanked her 3-year-old son and shouted at him furiously as she gave lectures on what not to eat (or something). The red-cheeked boy screamed loud enough to catch the attention of many.

Obviously, the boy did that thing simply out of curiousity. Yeah, it was really a wrong act to try to eat the toy, which is I think made of a hard plastic material. But this doesn't mean -- at least in my own opinion and thinking -- that the mother needed to do an award-winning act of punishing her child. The child doesn't deserve such painful reprimand. For me, it was partly the mother's fault of not fully attending to her child's activities and just enjoying her time chatting with her mother-friends.

I couldn't help but stare at the crying boy and have an unending pity on him. I still picture him in my mind even as I write this piece. My son, who is much younger than him, is like a rat trying to taste everything that he sees or grabs. And yeah, I sometimes get pissed off because of this let-me-have-a-taste-of-this attitude of young children. BUT I don't hurt him -- especially physically. I just can't.

I am not a perfect mother, and I get angry at my son too. But I couldn't do such thing for that such petty reason. I know that mothers, or parents in general, have their own way of disciplining their children. For others, what the mother did may seem right. But for me, it is the exact opposite.

I pity the child, and feel sorry for the mother. :/

http://www.websmileys.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home