Sunday, February 12, 2006

Job h[a]unting


I've always thought that there are a myriad of jobs here in Japan. And yes, I believe it's true. Even for gaijins from all over the world. Yet, how come I haven't had a job since I came back here?

When I first came here in Tokyo, I landed in a good job right away. So fast as if the job had been waiting for my arrival. I did not even have a time to leisurely explore this new place before I got extremely busy with my 5-day-per-week teaching job. Busy yet enjoying it.

Now that I am back, I also intend to go back to the English language teaching limelight. But things seem to be a little different now. Prospective students remain to be just prospects. Language schools demand so many things from an interested applicant, things that mostly I don't possess right now. Other kinds of jobs, even the mundane ones, seem to be on ice.

I go to Hello Work (a government-run employment office) twice a month to search for possible jobs. This office maintains a database of companies with vacancies, and endorse you if you are interested to apply in those. Every time I go there, luck doesn't go along with me. And my bye-bye phrase is usually "Maybe I'll have luck next time." Yeah, maybe.

Hate to admit it but the problem lies with me. First, my Japanese language ability is very poor. So poor that I can't even complete a sentence! Second, my availability is only limited to weekends only, for reasons I'm sure most of you are aware of. Third, I am picky with the kind of job I want to have. I am scared to take baby sitting or house cleaning jobs. I also shun from simpler jobs like washing dishes in restos. I like jobs that require lots of brain exercises and indulging in my craft, like those in language schools, and publishing house. Given these limitations, it is quite difficult to find an employer who is willing to take me in. Though there are some job offers, but the pay is not so enticing, and workplace is quite far from my place. Really so picky, eh. I have all the rights to choose which jobs I want, anyway.

Well, my job hunting will continue to haunt me, till I get the right one for me ... in due time.

http://www.websmileys.com/

4 Comments:

  • At 2/13/2006 11:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi sis.. syempre kpag mommies na may limitations na sa job.. anyway.... ganun talaga.. hope you'll find the right job.. mukha kaya naman ni bro... just wait till you get back.. ako i hope to have a good job by june the latest.. anyway.. still praying and looking for god's leading on this.. lea

     
  • At 2/13/2006 11:31:00 AM, Blogger ning said…

    thanks sis ... sana nga magkatrabaho na tayo pareho. part time job lang naman hanap ko e, something na pwede ko ibuhos namn ang natitirang talent ko ;)

     
  • At 2/13/2006 11:05:00 PM, Blogger Lirian Mina said…

    Good luck!!!
    Hope you can find a job the fits your criteria!!! :)

     
  • At 2/16/2006 11:02:00 PM, Blogger ning said…

    oh, thanks mina. a friend of ours (you know her) told me that doing the resto job is a good way to practise/improve my Jap language skills, so I think I'll consider that. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home